On 1 June 2009, Eagle Rock Entertainment release the Deep Purple two-disc set “History, Hits & Highlights 1968-76” [Cat No EREDV726]. This release features the classics: “Smoke On The Water”, “Hush”, “Speed King”, “Black Night”, “Child In Time”, “Strange Kind Of Woman”, “Burn”, “Mistreated” and many more and includes fantastic full length performances from all four line-ups of the original Deep Purple. Clocking in with nearly five hours of entertainment this is simply essential for all Purple fans [See over for the full tracklisting].
“History, Hits & Highlights 1968-76” is packaged as a double amaray case inside a slipcase with lavishly illustrated booklet of memorabilia making it the ultimate collectors’ package for early Deep Purple.
Deep Purple are one of the most successful and revered British rock bands of all time. This new two disc set covers the initial phase of the band’s existence through four different line-ups from 1968 to 1976. This era produced the classic Deep Purple albums such as “In Rock”, “Fireball”, “Burn” and “Machine Head” that created their legend and still provide the backbone of their live sets today despite the ongoing commercial success of the band post their 1984 reunion.
Combining full performances and a small number of archive interviews featuring much rare and previously unreleased live, studio and TV footage this superb set is the definitive collection of the early years of Deep Purple.
TRACKLISTING – HISTORY, HITS & HIGHLIGHTS 1968-76
Disc One – 2hrs 24mins
HISTORY – 20 minute history of Deep Purple from 1968 to 1976.
HITS – full performances
Mark One Line-Up (Mar 1968 to Jul 1969): Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Rod Evans (vocals), Jon Lord (keyboards), Ian Paice (drums), Nick Simper (bass)
1. Help 2. Hush 3. Wring That Neck
Mark Two Line-Up (Jul 1969 to Jun 1973): Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Ian Gillan (vocals), Roger Glover (bass), Jon Lord (keyboards), Ian Paice (drums)
4. Hallelujah 5. Mandrake Root 6. Speed King 7. Black Night 8. Child In Time 9. Lazy 10. Strange Kind Of Woman 11. Fireball Writing Session 12. Fireball 13. Demon’s Eye 14. No No No 15. Into The Fire 16. Never Before 17. Highway Star 18. Smoke On The Water
Mark Three Line-Up (Jun 1973 to May 1975): Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), David Coverdale (vocals), Glenn Hughes (bass & vocals), Jon Lord (keyboards), Ian Paice (drums)
19. Burn 20. Mistreated
Mark Four Line-Up (Jun 1975 to Mar 1976): Tommy Bolin (guitar), David Coverdale (vocals), Glenn Hughes (bass & vocals), Jon Lord (keyboards), Ian Paice (drums)
21. Love Child 22. You Keep On Moving
Disc Two – 2hrs 23mins
HIGHLIGHTS – bonus performances and interviews
Mark One Line-Up
1. And The Address (Playboy TV)
Mark Two Line-Up
2. Wring That Neck (Bilzen Jazz Festival 1969) 3. Mandrake Root (“Pop Deux” Paris Concert 1970) 4. Wring That Neck (“Pop Deux” Paris Concert 1970) 5. Black Night (Promo Clip) 6. No No No (Take 1) (Rockpalast Rehearsal Session) 7. No No No (Take 2) (Rockpalast Rehearsal Session)
Mark Three Line-Up
8. “Jt Nuit” – French TV 1974 9. Burn (Leeds Polytechnic Project 1974) 10. Interview (Leeds Polytechnic Project 1974) 11. Space Truckin’/Interview (Leeds Polytechnic Project 1974)
Mark Four Line-Up
12. New Zealand TV Documentary (Nov 1975) 13. Smoke On The Water (New Zealand TV)
14. Tony Edwards (Deep Purple’s manager) French TV Interview 1976